Page has moved to the new home for Kosher Cookbooks
The Kosher Cooking World has come a long way from the kitchen in the "Alte Heim". Our recipes are limited by Kashrus but still world class. However our cookbooks and not limited by anything and are world standard setters. Walk in to Judaica Superstore and you'll be left speechless by the breathtaking scene of gorgeous kosher cookbooks laid out before your eyes.
So many to choose from but you probably aren't going to buy them all. Not every cookbook is for every person. So at Culinary Kosher we decided to try to make it easier for you and help you find the kosher cookbook that is just right for you. And when you found it we will even provide you a link where you can buy it online. We will divide the books into categories to make it easier to choose. So here goes. Keep looking for update as we keep adding to the list new books and older ones.
I. Celebrity Chef Kosher Cookbooks
These are cookbooks by single chefs, the famous names in the Jewish cooking world.
1. Kosher Elegance - Efrat Libfroind
Theme: Where art and food meet. Make stunning dishes from simple classic ingredients.
- Total Recipes: over 90
- Sections: Sophistication (10), Occasions (12), Brunch (12), Hors D'Oeuvres (12), Layers (11), Simplicity (10), Sushi (11), Temptation (12), Chocolate (12)
- Pictures: Full page photo with almost every recipe
- Other Goodies: loaded with food design tips as well food preparation tips
- Pages: 250
- Dimensions: 12.1 x 9
- Price $39.99 click here to buy now for $26.39
- See our write up about Efrat Libfroid
- See Efrat Libfroind recipes
2. Simply Delicious - Sara Finkel
Theme: Delicious classic and contemporary recipes with easy techniques, basic equipment and ingredients
- Total Recipes: over 300
- Sections: Appetizers (20), Soups (14), Salads (13), Poultry (13), Meat (21), Fish ( 12), Vegetables (26), Kugels (20), Pasta, Rice, Tofu (12), Challah & Bread (7), Desserts (13), Cakes & Icing (27), Cookies & Bars (28), Pastries, Pies, & Cheesecakes (27), Microwave Cooking (14), Pesach (27)
- Pictures: A smattering of quarter page photos throughout and full page photos on section headers
- Menus - 11 Shabbos and Yom Tov menus
- Other Goodies: Essays on the connection between Yomim Tovim and their food, full table of contents
- Pages: 278
- Dimensions: 9 x 6
- Price $36.99 click here to buy
- See our write up about Sara Finkel
- See Sara Finkel recipes
3. Fresh & Easy - Leah Schapira
Theme: Amazingly easy recipes - with tantalizing variations on familiar themes.
- Recipes: over 170
- Sections: Soups (10), Salads (10), Dis & Sauces (13), Side Dishes (21), Brunch/Linch (23), Main (34), Traditional (15), Desserts (38)
- Pictures: full or partial page for almost each recipe
- Other Goodies: Pasta Shapes guide, pots guide, flavor combos, seasonal cooking, freezing tips.
- Pages: 336 pages
- Dimensions: 9.3 x 9.7
- Price: $34.99 Click here to buy for $23.09
4. Kosher by Design: Short on Time - Susie Fishbein
Theme: The ultimate cookbook for the busy person. Helps you serve up "fast food" that's a world apart from fast food.
- Total Recipes: approximately 147
- Sections: Appetizers (17), Soups (11), Salads (17), Poultry (17), Meat (14), Fish/Pasta (12), Slow Cooker (7), Side Dishes (19), Desserts (26), Building Block Recipes (7)
- Pictures: Full page photo with evert recipe
- Other Goodies: a section of gorgeous table decor
- Pages: 336
- Dimensions: 9.7 x 8.7
- Price $34.99 click here to buy now for $22.82
5. Dare to be Different: Dazzling Dishes by Robin Jemal
Theme: Traditional, Middle Eastern and Modern Recipes
- Total Recipes: Over 80
- Great cooking tips!
- Chapters: Appetizers, Soups and Salads, Sides, Fish, Chicken, Meat
- Pictures: 95% of the recipes are accompanies by pictures
- Pages: 150
- Dimensions: 9 ¼" x 7 ½ "
- Price: $36 Visit her website www.robinjemalcooking.com to purchase.
- See Robin Jemal recipes
6. Culinary Connoisseur - The Peppermill (Chayale Braver & Rivky Braver)
Theme: The Peppermill is an upscale cookware and bakeware store in Brooklyn. They put together a cookbook with recipes and essays focusing on using various kitchen tools to perfection. It is a book of culinary information, history, and science.
- Total Recipes: not listed
- Sections: Kitchen Science, Appetizers, Entrees, Dairy, On The Side, Treats from the Kitchen, Desserts
- Pictures: Plentiful with beautiful full page photo every 4-5 pages.
- Other Goodies: Loaded with helpful essays on the cooking and baking techniques, tips, and science. Sections are broken down into subsections but lacks any useful table of contents.
- Pages: 316
- Dimensions: 10.1 x 9.1
- Price $34.95 click here to buy now
7. Levana's Table - Levana Kirschenbaum
First published Levana's Table was a classic in its day. Levana is a legend in the Kosher food scene and she loves to tell good stories and share her wisdom throughout the book. The pictures are gorgeous but sparse although in its day of cookbooks without pictures it was a breakthrough. This is more than a kosher recipe book. It is something to enjoy with a coffee in a quiet moment in your kitchen.
Theme: Traditional, Moroccan, and Contemporary recipes
- Total Recipes: over 150 (Table of contents only shows categories not recipes)
- Sections: Preserves, Pickles, & Condiments, Appetizers, Soups, Salads, Fish, Poultry & Meat, Side Dishes, Vegetable Dishes, Grains & Pastas, Brunch & Dairy, Breads & Flatbreads, Desserts
- Pictures: scattered throughout the book
- Menus: 20 (menus do not show page number of recipe)
- Other Goodies: Anecdotes and lots of tips, wine list.
- Pages: 208
- Dimensions: 11.2 x 8.8
- Price $39.99 click here to buy now for $26.39
- See our write up about Levana
- See Levana Kitschenbaum recipes
Celebrity Chef Cookbooks to be added soon
More Kosher by Design - Susie Fishbein
A Taste of Challah - Tamar Ansh
Kosher Revolution - Geila Hocherman
Enlitened Kosher Cooking - Nechama Cohen
Quick & Kosher - Jaimie Geller
Quiches, Kugels, and Couscous - Joan Nathan
At Home Gourmet - Sara Lasry
Whole Foods - Levana Kirschenbaum
II. Schools & Shul Kosher Cookbooks
Cookbooks have proven to be a fantastic fundraiser. With a large parent body of woderful chefs schools and shuls can create amazing cookbooks with a broad range of great recipes. In fact these are some of the most popular cookbooks ever.
1. Bais Yaakov Cookbook - Editor Batsheva Weinstein Asst Ed. Leah Gluck
Put together by the Bais Yaakov of Chicago, this a truly complete Jewish cookbook and because it was an alumni project it warms the heart and proceeds go to Tzedaka. The recipes look outstanding as do the art and design. It is the extra features that put this book over the top.
- Recipes: Over 200 (Neither main table of content or section headers have list of recipes)
- Sections: Appetizers, Soups, Salads, Poultry, Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dairy, Side Dishes, Bread, Desserts, Cakes & Cookies
- Pictures: 1 full page for every 2-3 recipes
- Other goodies: 10 page history of Bais Yaakov, 25 page Halacha guidelines, Brachos guide, checking fruits & vegetables, culinary tips, about wine, meat, fish, and poultry guides, spices & herbs, fruits & vegetables, cookware guide, kitchen gadgets, table decorating guide
- Pages: 381
- Price: $35 Click here to buy
- See Bais Yaakov Cookbook recipes
- See our review of Bais Yaakov Cookbook
2. Temptations - Keter Torah (Judy Hochsztein, Channa Potash, Daphna Roth and Deena Seelenfreund)
Theme - Temptations is a collection of recipes that addresses the needs of today's contemporary cook, from novice to experienced home chef. With elegant holiday dinners, festive Shabbat meals, and quick weeknight suppers, there is something for everyone and dishes for all occasions.
- Recipes: over 200
- Sections: Soup and Appetizers, Salads, Fish, Chicken, Meat, Sides, Pasta and Grains, Cookies and Bars, Cakes, Desserts, and Pesach
- Pictures: 60
- Other Goodies - 70 Pesach recipes, Wine pairings, Menus for holidays and everyday
- Pages: approx. 310
- Dimensions: 9.5 x 10.5
- Price: $39.95 Click to buy
- See Temptation recipes here
- Read more about Temptations Cookbook here
3. Dash - Rebecca Naumberg and Sori Klein
Theme - Visually intriguing with recipes that are sophisticated and new, yet down-to-earth and practical for the average reader. These are not reruns of outdated oldies but refreshing new ideas that expand the limits of traditional kosher cooking.
- Recipes: approximately 160
- Sections: Appetizers (16), Soups (13), Salads (17), Fish (12), Poultry (19), Meat (19), Sides (21), Breads & Dairy 18, Desserts (24)
- Pictures: Full page for each recipe
- Other Goodies - Recipes often show tips for Plan Ahead, Simplify, & Cooks Notes
- Pages: 318
- Dimensions: 9.25" x 9.25"
- Price: $32.99 Click to buy
4. Dining In Again - Yeshiva Masores Avos (Lakewood)
Theme: Classy gourmet to homey favorites
- Total Recipes: over 550
- Sections: Appetizers, Soups, Salads, Poultry, Meat, Fish, Pasta, Brunch & Dairy, Side Dishes, Desserts, Traditional
- Pictures: 3 on each section header
- Other Goodies: Icon guide (traditional, quick & easy, healthful, special or simcha, freezes well, Pesach) Helpful tips for each section, Bracha for each food, Spice guide, Food storage tips, Substitutions
- Pages: 368
- Dimensions: 9.2 x 8.7
- Price $31.95 click here to buy now for $30.23
5. The Kosher Pallete II: Coming Home - Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy
Theme: The follow up to the original that launched Susie Fishbein's career. Cross section of recipes from simple to sophisticated.
- Total Recipes: over 300
- Sections: Breads & Muffins,Salads, Soups, Sides, Fish, Meat & Poultry, Dairy,Cakes, Cookies, Desserts, Beverages, Sauces
- Pictures: nearly 100 in all formats
- Other Goodies: Spiced with wine pairings, table setting tips, side dish pairings, garnishing tips, preparation tips. Guide for family friendly, quick & easy, freezes well, sophiticated, special occasion dish
- Pages: 303
- Dimensions: 9.1 x 8
- Spiral Bound
- Price $32.95 click here to buy now for $21.67
6. Simply Southern: With a Dash of Kosher Soul - Margolin Hebrew Academy (not complete yet)
Theme: Southern recipes turned kosher and kosher recipes turned Southern. This book was a fundraising project of the Memphis Hebrew Academy which collected recipes that were family heirlooms.
7. The Hadassah Everyday Cookbook: Daily Meals for the Contemporary Jewish Kitchen by Leah Koenig
Theme:Everything the Jewish cook needs to know to create simple, satisfying, and flavorful kosher meals for every day and special occasions. The book spans the culinary globe, combining iconic American and Jewish tastes with Mexican, Italian, French, Asian, and Middle Eastern-inspired cuisine.
- Total Recipes: over 160
- Sections: 8: breakfast and breads; salads and spreads; sandwiches and pizza; soups and stews; sides; mains; sweets; anytime snacks
- Pictures: 45 full-page color photos, plus a bunch of smaller photos
- Other Goodies: tons of tips (like how to make the most of fresh herbs, or reconstitute dried out brown sugar), a section of creative menu ideas, an "ingredient sources" page to help readers find specialty ingredients and sustainably produced kosher meat, cheese, chocolate, and other grocery items.
- Pages: 227
- Dimensions: 8.7 x 11.6
- Price: $34.95. Click here to buy now for $22.83
- See Hadassah Everyday Cookbook recipes
Spice & Spirit
The Heimishe Kitche
III. Theme Kosher Cookbooks
These are books that focus on a single theme
A. Kosher Meat Cookbooks
1. The Kosher Carnivore: The Ultimate Meat and Poultry Cookbook - June Hersh
Theme: Meat and poultry recipes with a fresh mixture of classic, elegantly ethnic and innovative recipes.
- Recipes: over 120
- Sections: Beef - 29, Veal - 10, Lamb - 9, Chicken - 27, Turkey - 7, Duck - 3, Soup & Stock - 11, Good Carbs - 15, Dough - 6, The Veggies - 6, Chutneys Salsas and Relish - 7, Dressing up - 6
- Other Goodies: A guide to Kosher cuts of meat. Help to prepare the right cut of kosher meat. Substitutions based on cost so the reader has lots of options within each recipe. Tips from butchers, gadget gurus, kosher wine authorities, even a knife skills maven.
- Pages: 256
- Dimensions: 9.2 x 7.9
- Price $29.99 click here to buy now for $18.56
2. Cooking with the Kosher Butcher's Wife - Sharon Lurie
Theme: Focused mainly on an incredible array of meat dishes from every cut imagineable.
- Sections: Marinades, Bastes, & Rubs, Liquid Assets, Awesome Offal, Mains, Beef, Lamb & Veal, Poultry, Deli Delights, A Little on the Side, Leaf Me Alone, & Divine Desserts
- Other Goodies: A guide to Kosher cuts of meat. Lots of fun humor!
- Pages: 224
- Dimensions: 9.9 x 8.2
- Price $29.95 click here to buy now for $21.86
- See our write up about Sharon Lurie
B. Baking & Desserts Kosher Cookbooks
1. My Most Favorite Dessert Company Cookbook: Delicious Pareve Baking Recipes - Doris Shechter
Theme: Doris Shechter reveal the secret recipes behind her successful NYC dessert shop "My Most Favorite Dessert. It is a book of pareve desserts.
- Total Recipes: over 90 (Table of contents of recipes only on chapter headers)
- Sections: Loaf Cakes (13), Layer Cakes & Specialty Cakes (22), Pies & Tarts (16), Cookies (20), Passover Baking (16)
- Pictures: 17 in a centerfold
- Other Goodies: Nice intros and stories behind recipes. Freezing, storing, and defrosting tips for recipes.
- Pages: 242
- Dimensions: 9.3 x 7.6
- Price $32.50 click here to buy now for $23.18
2. The Kosher Baker - Paula Shoyer
Theme: Everything you need to know about baking delicious pareve desserts from traditional to trendy
- Total Recipes: over 160
- Sections: Quick & Elegant Desserts - 15 Minute Prep (Cookies, Biscotti & Bar Cookies - 10, Quick Cakes, Breads, & Muffins - 16, Pastries, Candies, & Fruit Soup - 10, Tarts, Pies, & Cobbler - 9), Two Step Desserts 15-30 min. prep (Cookies, Biscotti & Bar Cookies - 16, Cakes, Cupcakes, & Scones - 13, Tarts, Pies, & Plated Desserts - 10), Multiple Step Desserts & Breads - more than 30 min. prep (Cookies, Bars, & Candies - 10, Cakes, Pastries, & Dessert Breads - 14, Tarts - 10, Plated Desserts, Mousses, & Puddings - 13, Challah - 5), Passover - 11, No Sugar Added - 10
- Pictures: scattered throughout the book
- Other Goodies: Baking ingredients guide, tools & equipment, techniques, sauces & frostings
- Pages: 312
- Dimensions: 10.2 x 8.2
- Price $35.00 click here to buy now for $23.10
- See our write up about Paula Shoyer
- See Paula Shoyer recipes
C. Kosher Soup Recipes
1. Soup: A Kosher Collection - Pam ReissTheme: Soups from starters to dessert. A fusion of traditional kosher recipes and exotic world cuisine.
- Total Recipes: 160
- Sections: Parve/Vegetarian (57), Dairy (41), Fish (4), Meat (41), Fruit & Dessert (11), Accompaniments (6)
- Pictures: Over 2 dozen full colour, full page photos
- Other Goodies: nutritional data
- Pages: 210
- Dimensions: 8"x9"
- Cover - Paperback
- Click here to buy for $17.99
D. Special Method Kosher Cookbooks
1. Jewish Slow Cooker Recipes - Laura Frankel
Theme: An inspiring collection of kosher recipes-from the simple to the sublime-all created with the slow cooker. A tantalizing collection of mouth-watering recipes that you can make for any meal, from appetizers and soups to main dishes, sides, and even desserts and breakfast all conveniently prepared in the slow cooker!
- Total Recipes: over 120
- Sections: Appetizers, Soups, Main Dishes, Side Dishes, Desserts & Breakfast, Sauces, Basic Recipes.
- Other Goodies: Recipes by Kosher category, Holiday Menus, Slow cooking tips, Cooking techniques
- Pages: 256
- Dimensions: 9.2 x 8.3
- Price $24.95 click here to buy now for $16.38
2. The New Food Processor Bible - Norene Gilletz
Theme: A comprehensive guide to everything you have ever wanted to make with a food processor and more! The food processor is probably the best tool you can have to help you around the kitchen. It can speed up almost any dish you are preparing and create a healthy meal. The recipes feature readily available ingredients, simple enough for the beginner and sophisticated enough for the well-seasoned cook. It is the essential cookbook to have with your food processor.
- Total Recipes: over 500
- Sections: Appetizers, Soups Sauces & Marinades, Fish & Diary Dishes, Meat & Poultry, Vegetables & Side Dishes, Super Salads & Dressings, Yeast Doughs Quick Breads & Muffins, Cakes & Frostings, Desserts & Tortes, Chocolates Cookies & Squares, Pies & pastries, Passover
- Other Goodies: Practical tips for using your food processor, a Daily Food Use Guide, Nutritional analysis for each recipe, Gluten free baking, Low carb & Lo fat options, Baby food section
- Pages: 552
- Dimensions: 9.2 x 7.2
- Price $29.95 click here to buy now for $19.48
E. Holiday Recipe Kosher Cookbooks
1. Celebrating with the Kosher Butcher's Wife - Sharon Lurie
Theme: This is a book of Holiday cooking. Each chapter highlights a different festival. This book is written in a fun, humorous style with personal stories with amusing anecdotes. The chapter openers present stunning and innovative ideas for decorating and laying your own table and are followed by a short introduction to the specific festival.
- Total Recipes: over 150
- Sections: Shabbat, Pesach, Shavuot, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkot, Chanukkah and Purim. Each sections has starters, soups, fish dishes, mains, side dishes, salads and desserts.
- Pictures: Full color
- Other Goodies: aside from the stories and recipes,the section openers present stunning and innovative ideas for decorating and laying your own table and are followed by a short introduction to the specific festival
- Pages: 223
- Dimensions: 9.8 x 8.2
- Price $29.95 click here to buy now for $21.94
- See Sharon Lurie recipes
2. Passover: A Kosher Collection - Pam Reiss
Theme: Passover! From charoset to desserts, there's a recipe for anything one needs to prepare for Pesach.
- Total Recipes: over 180
- Sections: Starters, Appetizers and Small Bites (10), Soups and Accompaniments (7), Salads (13), Dressings, Dips, Spreads & Sauces (22), Mains (51), Side Dishes (29), Baking and Desserts (48), Beverages (6)
- Pictures: 16 full colour, full pages
- Other Goodies: full of tips, menu suggestions and substitution suggestions
- Pages: 208
- Dimensions: 8"x9"
- Cover - Paperback
- Click here to buy for $29.95
F. International Cuisine Kosher Cookbooks
1. The Best of Mexican Kosher Cooking - Shifrah Devorah Witt and Zipporah Malka Heller
Synopsis: 100% authentically kosher Mexican cuisine. You will be amazed at how easy it is to turn a simple dinner or Shabbos meal into a full-fledged fiesta!
Theme: Mexican Recipes
- Total Recipes: 93
- Sections: Appetizers(16), Breads, Soups and Salads (20), Dairy & Fish (13), Chicken & Meat (19), Side Dishes (13), Desserts & Beverages (12)
- Pictures: Full page color picture for each recipe
- Sample Menus: 4 (menu for a party, a dairy melaveh malkah, an easy Shabbos dinner, and a summer barbecue)
- Other Goodies: Background on Mexican cooking, Kosher Mexican cooking ingredient list, tips for Kosher Mexican cooking, and suggreted accompaniments for some recipes.
- Pages: 203
- Dimensions: 7" X 10"
- Price from $21.99 click here to buy now
- See Best of Mexican Kosher Cooking recipes
2. Maui Kosher Quick and Easy Recipes Danit Schusterman
Theme: Danit arrived on Maui in 2004. Since then, she has served thousands of Friday night (Shabbat), holiday, and everyday meals at her Upcountry Maui home using recipes that can be made quickly and easily to serve a full table. See here collection.
- Total Recipes: over 135
- Sections: Dips, Salads, Soups, Sides, Main Course, Desserts, Challah, Recipes from Celebrity guest Chefs
- Pictures: Every recipe has a color photograph
- Other Goodies: Guide to fresh produce available on Maui, Hawaii, Kosher laws 101, Essays about Jewish life on Maui, Hawaii
- Pages: 168
- Dimensions: 6 x 9
- Price $17.95 click here to buy
3. Persian Food from the Non-persian Bride: And Other Sephardic Kosher Recipes You Will Love - Reyna Simnegar
Theme: More than just a cookbook, Persian Food from the Non-Persian Bride is the odyssey of a Venezuelan woman venturing into the unknown and mysterious world of Persian Jewry through marriage. This book is full of hilarious, and at times ironic, accounts of what happens when soul mates are not from the same origin.
- Total Recipes: approximately 130
- Sections: There are sections and subsections - Appetizers & Side Dishes - Persian Breads (3), Dips (7), Salads (14), Fish & Soups - Fish (10), Soup (5), Poultry & Meat (19), Persian Rice - White Rice (4) Polo (12), Persian Breakfast (13), Persian Snacks (10) Persian Beverages (13) Persian Desserts (18)
- Pictures: over 100 pictures
- Other Goodies: 25 page Holiday tutorial, Iran kitchen experience, great intro/story for each recipe
- Pages: 353
- Dimensions: 10.1" X 8.7"
- Price $34.99 click here to buy now for $23.09
The Best of Asian Kosher Cooking - Shifrah Devorah Witt and Zipporah Malka Heller
Japanese Kosher Cooking
Aromas of Aleppo: The Legendary Cuisine of Syrian Jews - Poopa Dweck
IV. Healthy Cookbooks
1. Enlitened Kosher Cooking - Nechama Cohen
Theme: Good-carb, healthy-fat, sugar-free recipes from the CEO of the Jewish Diabetes Association, a wife and mother now facing the challenge of controlling Type I diabetes while living a traditional Jewish lifestyle.